Wednesday, October 04, 2006

Healthy....or not!

I got a health screening yesterday! Yup, they had health screenings at work and I wanted to find out where I stood in life. I am 31 years old and I just feel like maybe I am not as healthy as I think. Hopefully, this will give me a boost to start leading a healthier lifestyle!!!

I have included this recent picture because in 1 year...I am going to look totally different!

Here are the results of my tests:

Lung Spirometry
Classification - normal
Estimated lung age - 20
I had to blow into this thing really hard--it was kinda like a breathalizer, but there was no resistance. It was almost like blowing into a toilet paper roll. I have never had one of these done before...very neet! It is good to know that i have the lungs of a 20 year old...even after all those years I smoked. I have to believe the year of swimming I did in college helped that along!

Blood Pressure
Classification - normal
score - 110/70
This was a normal blood pressure test. Thankfully I don't have pre-hypertension or hypertension. My family has a history of high blood pressure (grandmother and mother), but thankfully I haven't hit that yet. However, I am close :( I should have a systolic pressure lower than 120 and diastolic lower than 80. It says that blood pressure between 120/80 and 139/89 is considered pre-hypertension. I better start lowering my salt intake and exercise more!

Cholesterol
Total Cholesterol (desirable less than 200) - 200
Triglycerides (desireable less than 150) - 92
Fasting Glucose (desireable 60-99) - 97
HDL (desirable greater than 40) - 79
LDL (desirable less than 130) - 103
VLDL (less than 40) - 18
TC/HDL ratio (less than 4.5) - 2.5
Well, my total cholesterol is right on the dot for starting high cholesterol. Even though it may be high, I was told that my good cholesterol guys (HDL) are fighting the bad cholesterol guys (LDL) and they are winning! Yay HDL's! The guy who analyzed me said that my HDL was higher than anyone he has seen at 4 Eaton facilities. He told me to call my parents and thank them for such good genetics :) He said that my ratio of 2.5 was outstanding!

Body Mass Index
Risk Category - Moderate
BMI - 27.4
Okay, so I am kinda chubby and my BMI is higher than I want. "Moderate Risk" means I am overweight. I am 5' 1" and 143 lbs...my target weight for my height is 131 lbs or less. High risk (or obese) is 158 lbs or more.

Body Composition
Percentage - 30.5
Recommended Percent of Body Fat: Women 34 years and younger should have a target of 12-35 percent.
So basically, I am on the upper part of the recommended percent. I don't know about you, but 12 to 35 seems like a pretty large range. I know they are trying to make me feel good...but I am a fatty!!! Again, I am not considered obese but I am considered overweight. That is not good!

So since I am considered overweight, I am going to work hard to lead a healthier lifestyle. This month I ran a 1-mile race and I didn't do so well. I know I was sick that day, but it was tough. I am going to set up goal to run a 5k within 1 year of this date. I am sure I can do it with the proper training and I will feel 100% better on my next screening results!


2 Comments:

Blogger vivian said...

OoOOo!! Coool!! That's really neat!! =) You are REALLY healthy!! WOWOWOW =) Make me want to go and get one of those done too!! But then I might find out that i don't eat enough veggies!! Yikes!! :)

12:13 PM

 
Blogger marii said...

I forgot to mention that the guy who was analyzing my stuff told me that extra lean ground beef or ground sirloin is healthier to eat as chicken breast...do you find that odd?

8:22 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home