Thursday, November 08, 2007

Fish is bad :(

I love fish...I love seafood. Anytime I get a chance, I eat it. When I go out to eat, I usually order it and I buy from the supermarkets at least once a week. It's healthy, right? So why not eat it as regularly as you can!


A few nights ago, I couldn't sleep so I went to the living room and started watching TV. It was early enough for me to catch the ABC Morning News. To my horror, they began reporting about seafood imported from other countries and how unclean they were. The very stuff I buy in the supermarkets and at restaurants is now under investigation for being contaminated!

I will never buy seafood from the supermarket again. I have vowed to only eat fresh fish. I will either catch it myself or make sure I know I am getting fresh domestic fish before I buy.

The full article at:
http://www.abcnews.go.com/GMA/Consumer/story?id=3825144&page=1

Basically, here are the keypoints from the article.....
Avoiding foreign seafood may be a difficult task for consumers because almost all the seafood sold in supermarkets comes from developing nations, like Indonesia, China and Costa Rica.

Lab tests routinely detect antibiotics, which are banned for use in food in the United States. Some foreign countries use the antibiotics to treat fish raised in crowded conditions, where bacteria, viruses and parasites can breed.

One of the things often found in imported fish is a fungicide called malachite green, which is illegal to use in food in the United States because studies show it can causes cancer and birth defects.

Sparks said he has seen firsthand how tainted foreign seafood can be. He's traveled to Vietnam and witnessed fish farmed in sewage.

Lab testers said even when farmers in nations like China have shipment rejected for an illegal chemical, they simply switch to another harmful chemical.

"Consumers may be getting a dose of antibiotics with their seafood dinner and that's something the government should stop," said Caroline Smith Dewaal, of the Center for Science and Public Interest.

Labels:

2 Comments:

Blogger Aaron Abitia said...

"I will either catch it myself..."

Now that's something I'd like to see, you battling some giant fish. It'd probably toy with you, then finally suck you into the water. BTW, leave this article posted because those bozos at ABC took that story down from their site. Probably dodging a lawsuit.

12:17 AM

 
Blogger marii said...

I cannot believe that they took the link down! I bet they did get into trouble! I am so glad that I couldn't sleep that morning because i would have never known!!!

9:54 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home